Education Dive |
The Learning Policy Institute recently released “Restarting and Reinventing School: Learning in the Time of COVID and Beyond,” a framework outlining how policymakers and education decision makers can address how to safely, effectively and equitably deliver in-person and online education.
Specifically, the framework addresses how to:
- Close the digital divide.
- Strengthen distance and blended learning.
- Assess students’ needs.
- Ensure supports for SEL.
- Redesign schools to promote stronger relationships.
- Develop culturally responsive learning.
- Create expanded time for learning.
- Establish community schools and wraparound supports.
- Prepare educators for reinventing school.
- Leverage more school funding that is both adequate and equitable.
LPI President and CEO Linda Darling-Hammond, who co-authored the framework, said in a statement that the pandemic could be “a historic opportunity” for education leaders “to reinvent an antiquated and deeply inequitable system” and adopt “an entirely different approach — one that champions equity, authentic learning, and stronger relationships among educators, children, and families.”