CBS News |
The pandemic is creating challenges for children’s mental health. CBS News senior medical contributor Dr. Tara Narula shows how one program, RULER, is teaching students to process their feelings to help them tackle those challenges.
RULER is an evidence-based approach to social and emotional learning (SEL) developed at the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence.
RULER is an acronym for the five skills of emotional intelligence:
- Recognizing emotions in oneself and others
- Understanding the causes and consequences of emotions
- Labeling emotions with a nuanced vocabulary
- Expressing emotions in accordance with cultural norms and social context
- Regulating emotions with helpful strategies