Ben Tracy, CBS Evening News |
“Don’t Shoot Guns, Shoot Cameras,” a program based in Washington, D.C., teaches underserved youth camera skills to keep them away from gang violence.
Social curriculum objectives:
- Introduce and develop Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) skills: self-awareness, self-management, responsible decision making, social awareness, and relationship skills.
- Promote community building across DC Wards (reduce peer to peer violence, decrease student to teacher altercations).
- Reduce the number of gun-related incidents by providing access to visual arts programs.
- Increase students interest in community building and civic engagement.
Technical curriculum objectives:
- Introduce various film and production careers
- Teach fundamental filmmaking and story structure
- Teach use of cameras, lighting, and sound
- Introduce basic cinematography skills and editing techniques